Center for Integrated Emergency Preparedness
The Center for Integrated Emergency Preparedness (CIEP) works to develop and apply new and existing state-of-the-art methodologies and technologies to increase the capabilities of emergency managers, planners, and responders to counter technological disasters, natural disasters, and terrorist use of weapons of mass destruction. We use interdisciplinary knowledge to develop and implement new methods for systems-based emergency planning, training, and exercising. Our multidisciplinary team includes experts in computer science and engineering; economics, history, and geography; law; environmental science; physical sciences; public health; behavior and social sciences; political science; and journalism and communications.
For more than 25 years, Argonne National Laboratory’s emergency management experts have been supporting federal, state, local, and Tribal agencies and organizations in finding new and better ways to accomplish daily emergency planning and operations as well as advancing the state of the art for emergency preparedness.
As a research and development laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), CIEP's primary function is to advance emergency preparedness planning and response operations—ultimately to find new and more efficient ways to prevent, respond to, and recover from natural or technological disasters or acts of terrorism.
Areas of Expertise
- Emergency management exercise research and technical assistance
- Multijurisdictional planning and technical assistance to state and local governments
- Risk communication methods research and technical assistance
- Public health emergency preparedness research and assistance
- Identification of and support process assistance for special needs populations
- National emergency management policy
- Planning modernization research and development
For more information, contact:
William C. Metz
E-mail William C. Metz
E-mail Edward Tanzman
Co-Directors, Center for Integrated Emergency Preparedness
Decision and Information Sciences Division
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 South Cass Ave., Bldg. 221
Argonne, IL, 60439