Training Course June 24-26, 2014:
Application of the ASME Code to Radioactive Material Packagings/Casks
We regret to inform you that the ASME Code To Radioactive Material Packaging/Cask training class is full for the 2014 course. Please contact Sharon Ryan at 630.252.3754 (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain preferential consideration for the 2015 course.
Training Course Description
The course provides guidance for the application of the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel (B&PV) Code to packagings/casks for transportation and storage of used nuclear fuel and high-level radioactive materials. The purpose of the course is to facilitate the design, fabrication, examination, testing, and quality assurance of a packagings/casks that meets all of the applicable ASME Code requirements and all of the governing requirements and safety standards in federal regulations.
The target audience is DOE and contractors, other agency personnel, and commercial packagings/casks engineering employees. Those responsible for designing, fabricating, or evaluating radioactive material packagings/casks as well as preparing or reviewing the associated safety analysis reports, will also benefit.
||Training Course Director
||Package Group Manager
||Training Course Coordinator
||Quality Assurance Engineer
|Nuclear Regulatory Commission
||Sr. Technical Advisor
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory
||Senior Staff Member
|Savannah River National Laboratory
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
This classroom course was last given in March 2011 for the 12th time. The course consists of technical presentations, discussions, examples, and problem exercises, with emphasis on understanding the regulatory basis, current design practice, and engineering rationale for applying the ASME Code to packaging for transportation and storage of used nuclear fuel and high-level radioactive materials. Course highlights include lectures on the following:
- Overview of federal regulations in 10 CFR 71 and 10 CFR 72 (New)
- Overview of DOE Orders and NRC guidance documents, including regulatory guides
- General background and structure of the Code, with emphasis on Section III, Division 3, Containments for Transportation and Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel and High Level Radioactive Material and Waste (also known as NUPACK), including discussion of Section III, Division 1, and Section VIII, Division 1
- Current activities in the NUPACK Code, including strain-based criteria
- Code and non-code structural materials, containment loading and design with emphasis on design-by-analysis rules, significance of stress limits, bolt stress analysis, behavior of bolted closure, and brittle fracture protection
- Design of containment internal support structures and buckling analysis, including Code Case N-284
- Fabrication including welding, examination, test requirements, and quality assurance
- Design qualification by physical testing and containment requirements for leakage rates per ANSI N14.5
- Aging management for long-term storage (New)
The training course will be held at Argonne National Laboratory in Argonne, Illinois. Class will be held in Conference Room D-120 in Building 203.
Maps/directions/pictures: Click here for maps and directions to Building 203, Conference Center D-120
All participants of this course will receive a copy of the course instruction visuals, which are based on the ASME B&PV Code, selected key references, as well as an examination for a Certificate of Completion of the ASME Code Training Course. (Note: Participants are required to stay for the entire course in order to receive a Certificate of Completion.)
Each participant is responsible for making his/her hotel reservations.
- Aloft Bolingbrook
500 Janes Avenue
Bolingbrook, IL 60440
Contact Lucy Raymond
- Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge
1200 Burr Ridge Parkway
Burr Ridge, IL, 60527
- Argonne Guest House
(Managed by Sodexho)
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 South Cass Ave., Bldg. 460
Argonne, IL 60439
When making your reservation,
inform the hotel that you will be attending
the DOE/Argonne ASME Training Course. The
hotel reservation deadline is: May 23, 2014
Additional Course Information: Click here for further information.
The registration fee for this course is $900 ($800 if
registered before June 2, 2014). A processing fee of $100 will be charged
for cancellation until/on June 16, 2014. No refund will be issued
after June 16, 2014.